Wednesday 21 August 2013

Day Six - Dinas Mawddwy to Bwlch Llyn Bach. 9 miles.

Tuesday, 20th August.
Total ascent 984m (3228ft).

When planning the walk I originally considered merging today over the Dyfi hills and the next over Cadair Idris into one, monumental 21 mile, 6000ft epic, but decided against it. The main reason was that I know Cadair Idris well and it's worth more than half a day, and I don't know the Dyfi hills but they are on my 'mountains to do' list, so half a day wouldn't give me enough lingering time. The other reason was that I'd be absolutely knackered after it, and as Jen and Liz were arriving I thought I should attempt to stay awake.

So split them I did, and a very good idea it was too because the Dyfi hills are fab. They are very compact with an obvious single route right across them. They are also it seems completely ignored, as the well waymarked but almost non-existent on the ground paths bore out. Most of the time this was fine, but one section, contouring round a mountainside after the initial ascent through forest, was hard work as the path was really narrow and unstable at times. Once on top the walking was lovely, all the time heading west towards Cadair Idris, now my next target.



Looking ahead to Maesglase.

As I approached the first of the 3 main summits, Maesglase, I couldn't help but wonder why, instead of a cairn, there was a large pole. As I got closer I realised that it wasn't a pole, it was a fishing rod. Curiouser and curiouser. As I got even closer I realised that it wasn't a fishing rod, it was an aerial, and someone with headphones on was sending signals. I suspected a plot. I walked to within 15 yards, took a photo in case evidence was needed, and left. Throughout this time the terrorist had his or her back to me with headphones on and was talking in CB speak, so they never even knew I existed.



You ain't seen me right? Now that's covert.

The only other person I saw today was a girl having lunch at the summit of Waun Oer. It was where I'd planned to have lunch, so something had to give. I wondered what she'd say if I asked her to move, or sat right next to her. After some pleasantries I gave way and sat on a tuft 50 yards away, sulking.



The western Dyfi hills, with Cadair Idris beyond.

I was meeting Jen and Liz in Dolgellau which meant getting a bus from the bwlch, if indeed a bus stop was there. In a sudden urge to catch the 15:53 I found myself virtually running down the mountainside, and got to the road less than a minute before it appeared. I was nowhere near a stop but stuck out my arm hopefully, and sure enough the driver stopped. 45 minutes after being on top of a mountain I was in Dolgellau town centre drinking coffee. And within 10 minutes Jen and Liz appeared.

An apology:
Jen appears to be rather disgruntled with my earlier blog comments relating to bananas. Therefore after much deliberation I feel obliged to rescind any statements which may have caused offence to lovers of bananas and indeed to bananas themselves. It has now been made clear to me that I ate said banana out of a context in which I would appreciate it, and that bananas are in no way unpleasant if eaten correctly. I am very, very sorry.

Phew! We are staying nearby at the very scenic George III Hotel in Penmaenpool, on the Mawddach Estuary. We're here for 4 nights, so I can do the next 2 days (after my day off tomorrow) from this base and with a light pack.

Once again the weather was stunning, despite slightly reduced visibility, and I could do with it continuing for another week (it won't)! This is because my last 7 days are:

Cadair Idris (grand)
Rhinogs - 2 days (scary)
Moelwyns and Cnicht (wild)
Snowdon (un-wild)
Glyders (shapely)
Carneddau (majestic)

As this is home territory I've done them all before, some many times, buy never as part of a single walk. If I could choose a wet day (just one please!) it would be Snowdon as its impossible to get lost and, as the only real flaw in my plan, it's Bank Holiday Sunday. If I could choose the days I at least need good visibility for they would be day one of the Rhinogs (please, please, please!), the Moelwyns (can be tricky in mist) and the Carneddau (a monumental full traverse of my favourite mountain range on the last day). What could possibly go wrong?

-- Posted from Kev's iPhone

2 comments:

  1. You're okay to open and lock school on Monday aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's tomorrow. I'll lob the keys in your direction when I get to the top of Snowdon.

      Delete